Happy 2014 Everyone!
We hope you are all staying warm up in Chiberia! We are sending you love and warmth from our homes down south while we enjoy the rest of our break before heading back to Chi city. As you may have seen from our Instagram, we spent New Years in Miami's South Beach! Although there's no place like Chicago, we knew that we needed a dose of sun and sand to help us tackle the dreary winter months ahead. We absolutely loved our time in the Sunshine state and wanted to share our favorite Miami destinations with you!
Where to Eat:
Yardbird-Southern Table& Bar
When preparing for our trip, Yardbird was the one restaurant that seemed to be mentioned by just about all of our foodie friends. We knew that this was one spot we couldn't by-pass. Because social media is amazing, we had already met two foodies via Twitter who would be in Miami during our stay and decided that Yardbird would be the perfect place for a blogger brunch meet up! We had a great time brunching and trading Miami advice with Maria (Adventures of the Foodaholic) and Bea, and the food definitely did not disappoint either! Yardbird serves southern comfort food at it's finest. The menu is filled with southern staples like fried green tomatoes, shrimp and grits, and buttermilk biscuits, but each menu item has a nontraditional twist that we found to be surprising and fun! When we surveyed the menu, of course we wanted to try everything, but here are the things we chose!
Zuma is a Japanese restaurant in the heart of downtown Miami. Along with its amazing dishes, it is what many would call a "scene-chaser" restaurant. While enjoying the delicious food, you can occupy yourself by gawking at who is sitting next to you. If you decide to visit this restaurant, be sure to make a reservation WELL in advance!
This Cantonese hotspot is another place to see and be seen in the Miami dining scene, and is conveniently located in the luxurious Fontainebleau Hotel. With locations all over the US as well as abroad, this restaurant is sure to satisfy.
This is another spot we were told to hit while in Miami. Located near he top of the Epic Hotel downtown, the restaurant provides you with one of the best views of the gorgeous city. Though we weren't blown away by the food and service, the drinks and view created the perfect atmosphere for a "first stop" of the night.
Where to Stay:
When it comes to fabulosity one word encompasses it all: Fontainebleau. This iconic destination is the "be all end all" for Miami resorts. Although we did not stay here on this trip, a few of our friends did and can attest to its amazingness.
Last but not least, we can't forget to start out the New Year the right way with some goals for 2014! We hope that if we call them goals instead of resolutions, then they'll be more likely to happen!
1. Eat Healthier- My weakness is definitely fried foods so this year I want to cut back on my #1 true love: french fries. I want to replace them with healthier options like kale chips or multigrain chips with hummus.
2. Get Toned- This is a goal I've had every year, but I swear that this will be the year!
3. Blog More- After writing Sugar& Spice for a year, I now fully understand just how hard it is to set aside time to plan and write high quality posts. I love the creative outlet that blogging has been for me and definitely hope to blog more in the coming year and bring you some great new features!
4. Believe in myself- When we compare ourselves to others, it's easy to think about all the ways that we are lacking. This year, as I graduate from college and begin a new chapter of my life, I want to set a goal of doing hard things that scare me, and truly believing I can do them.
1. "Eat Clean/Train Dirty"- Sugar and I are on the same page with this goal. I want to start this year with a positive attitude towards my body. Setting realistic goals for myself in terms of food and exercise are definitely on the calendar. Eating and cooking healthy foods as well as exercising on a regular basis not only keeps you looking great, but also helps you feel better emotionally, mentally and physically.
2. Organize and Focus- A huge problem for me this past year was organizing my time and dedicating the right amount of energy towards the most important things. I have so many passions and hobbies that I often get side tracked while doing the "real work". So, in light of this, I have decided to carefully structure my time to include those pleasurable hobbies while still trying my best in school, on the job and (most importantly) in my relationships.
3. Be Content- I'm the kind of girl who never likes to sit still, EVER. As mentioned, I have many passions and thus many desires. I constantly feel the need to be going somewhere and doing something. This often causes my brain to be consistently going 100 mph, leaving me feeling tired and unsatisfied. This year I want to learn to be content wherever I am and enjoy whomever I am with (without frantically scanning the restaurant...or checking my phone).
4. Read and Write- In the past, you could, more often than not, find me reading a novel or writing a short story when I wasn't doing my homework or riding my horse. Over the years, my reading for pleasure has been gradually declining, and aside from the blog or school papers, I cannot remember the last time I sat down to write. This year, that's going to change. Nothing is quite as cathartic as putting your thoughts, dreams and inspirations on paper, and what's better than sharpening (or escaping) your mind with a good book?
We wish you all a happy, healthy, love-filled 2014 :)
Sugar & Spice